I absolutely Love this ‘go-to’ Salad, particularly when I’m throwing a laid back dinner party, a lunch with the ladies, a pot-luck, or when I just need some delicious nutrition inside of me! It is super easy to make, light, fresh, looks colorful and nutritious on any table, and the wonderful thing is that a little goes a long way- so great for sharing with friends.
I’ve made this mexican style with the addition of the black beans, corn, peppers, avocado and lime, but I’ve also added some extra veggies with the addition of the zucchini…which goes well in everything and adds even more vits and mins!
This recipe is veggie but you you can certainly add strips of moist roasted chicken or turkey to bulk it up.
1 cup of Rainbow Quinoa
1/2 Cup of Drained Black Beans
1/2 Cup of Corn
2 Zucchini roughly chopped
1/2 a Red Pepper, 1/2 Orange Pepper, 1/2 yellow pepper – diced
1/2 Red onion diced
2-3 stalks of green onions diced
1 Cup of Arugula
Handful of fresh cilantro
Handful of fresh mint leaves, slices finely
1 Avocado cut diced
1/4 Cup of Sliced Almonds
Salt & pepper
Paprika, Cayenne Pepper
What to do!
- Rinse Quinoa in Cold water and add to a medium sized pot with 2 cups of Water. Bring to a boil. Once bubbling, turn to low and let simmer for 15-17 minutes.
- While the quinoa is boiling, heat a little olive oil in a skillet and add in the red onion and zucchini. Sprinkle with a little paprika and cayenne. Cook until just softened, 4 minutes. (You can add these ingredients into the salad raw, but frying them slightly gives them a little extra flavor extra flavor)
- When the Quinoa is cooked, light and fluffy, let cool completely.
- Once cooled, add in the Beans, Corn, Peppers, Green Onions, Arugula, Cilantro, Mint, and the softened onions and zucchini. Add in the avocado and almonds last.
- Add enough salt & pepper to taste.
- Squeeze in the Juice of 1-2 limes, and the juice of half a lemon.
- Drizzle a little Olive oil on there too if you like
- Give it a good toss y ya esta!
Serve in a big colored bowl with large serving spoons.
Veggie Mexican Quinoa Salad!
This one is with Roasted Chicken Slices.
Perfect addition for a party!