Anyone who’s experienced walking Rome in the wrong shoes, understands the importance of a carefully curated shoe-packing plan. When it comes to packing for a European getaway, comfortable, travel-friendly shoes made for long days of blissful (and blister-less) strolling, are imperative.
I’ve selected some of my favorite chic shoes from sneaks, to sandals and comfy heels, to get us through long days of exploring cities, eating ice-cream and walking through cobblestone streets at sunset.
A few shoe packing tips:
- Pack shoes in a range of neutral (and solid) colors that can combine with many different outfits.
- Shoes should be separated from the rest of your clothing. Place shoes in a shoe bag, plastic bag, or large sandwich bag, (or even a shower cap) to keep them from mixing with the rest of your clothes.
- Use shoes to store small items, like belts, underwear, socks and tank tops. I even pack my jewelry in boots to protect my fragile items.
- Pack shoes at the bottom of the suitcase. Pack flat shoes against the sides, and heels in the middle of the suitcase (where the handlebars are) to keep them in place.
- Three pairs should suffice (although I have a hard time with this!). Think casual, formal and athletic. Chic white sneaks, comfy flat sandals, and a pair of mules or wedges with a chunky heel are perfect for summer day-to-night dressing.
Click through to see some of my favorites below: